Monday, September 24, 2012

It's that time of year again

Well.. fall is here and the days are becoming noticeably shorter. This means winter is coming and all the fun things that brings anxiety wise for me. The summer went by so quickly it seems although I am glad there is a break in the heat. I have gone back and forth on writing something here but it sometimes is a struggle to get out what's in my head in a form that I am comfortable sharing. 

I have for the most part kept my anxiety under control the past few months which has been a nice change of pace for me. This was mostly due to changes in my medication that I had been resisting a long time. I think the biggest thing that drove me to this decision was I was tired of working so hard to keep my stuff together. I resisted as long as I could but I just got tired. I am glad that I decided to go this route but it does not come without downsides. So why am I telling you this?

I want folks to know that its ok to not have it all together all the time. Anxiety is a daily challenge and no one has the answers. I have talked to several folks that are going through the same thing I went through. They have a sense of shame or a sense that they are "crazy". I suffered way too long because I could not come to grips with the fact that I wasn't alone in this struggle and no matter how special I thought I was this was not unique to just me. :) 

If you are going through a rough patch just remember that there is only so much stress one can take and anxiety is a way of your body and mind telling you to slow down. Sometimes we really need to look at what is important and let the rest take a back seat. I really felt a ton better when I told people what I was going through. I was like you know what who cares what people think. So what I get anxious about stuff. So what that I don't want to do X or Y. If people don't understand you that say they are your friends then you need new friends. There are enough challenges with anxiety to worry about what other people think. I think the biggest thing I have gotten out of this blog is folks coming up to me and talking about their struggles. 

As the stress of the holidays besieges us keep your chin up. Just remember your body pumps out adrenaline when you are anxious the same way your body pumps out adrenaline when you are riding a roller coaster. The difference is how your mind interprets these chemicals so you have the power to help change that interpretation.


No comments:

Post a Comment